There are some simple differences between a COACH and a MENTOR. Here are some things that may differentiate the 2:
A COACH Focuses on:
– Tasks and practical goals
– Helping you deal with specific issues or situations
– Telling you what you need to do in order to handle something
– Instructing from a position of authority or leadership
– Measures success by outcomes and reaching desired goals
A MENTOR Focuses on:
– Providing a variety of resources, helps and tools to assist in growth
– Offers advice, insight and suggestion, but leaves the choice to you.
– Focuses on your growth & development as a person, not so much on what you are able to do and accomplish.
– Asks lot’s of questions what your goals, desires and who you want to be.
– Comes from a posture of evaluation, affirming the process and engaging in the journey with you.
Both a mentor and a coach are important to each of us, but they each share different roles in our growth and development.