Here are 4 general communication skills that have been edited by “Brandywine“. Really good reminders for all of us:
#1) UNDERSTAND THE BASICS OF COMMUNICATION SKILLS
– Know what communication really is: it’s transferring signals/messages between a sender & receiver through various methods.
– Have courage to say what you think. Be confident in knowing that you contribute to conversations.
– Practice. Develop your communication skills.
#2) ENGAGE YOUR AUDIENCE
– Make eye contact.
– Use gestures. Make your whole body talk!
– Don’t send mixed messages. Make your words, gestures, facial expressions and tone match.
– Be aware of what your body is saying. Body language often says more than a mouthful of words.
– Manifest constructive attitudes and beliefs. Be sensitive to others feelings.
– Develop effective listening skills.
#3) USE YOUR WORDS
– Enunciate your words. Speak clearly and don’t mumble.
– Pronounce your words correctly. People will judge your competency through your vocabulary.
– Use the right words. If you don’t know what a word means, don’t use it.
– Slow down your speech.
#4) USE YOUR VOICE
– Develop your voice – a high or whiny voice is not perceived to be one of authority. Practice your voice and your tone.
– Animate your voice. Avoid monotone and use dynamics.
– Use appropriate volume. Adjust your volume to the environment around you.