Patrick Lencioni writes in his book “The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive” (Jossey-Bass ©2000) that the best way to create a competitive edge and help your organization or business to be the best it can be is to focus on creating a Healthy Organization.
Lencioni’s book from 2000 focuses on The Four Disciplines of a Healthy Organization and he basically ties healthy organizations back to leaders that focus on these 4 things.
Here’s a short description of the Four Disciplines:
#1) Build and Maintain a Cohesive Leadership Team
– Know one another’s unique strengths & weaknesses
– Openly engage in constructive ideological conflict
– Hold one another accountable for behaviors and actions
– Commit to group decisions
#2) Create Organizational Clarity
– Why the organization exists
– Which behavioral values are fundamental
– How are we unique
– Who is responsible for what
#3) Over-Communicate Organizational Clarity
– Repetition: Don’t be afraid to repeat the same message again and again
– Simplicity: The more complicated the message, the more potential for confusion and inconsistency
– Multiple Mediums: People react to information in many ways; use a variety of mediums
– Cascading Messages: Leaders communicate key messages to direct reports; the cycle repeats itself until the message is heard by all
#4) Reinforce Organizational Clarity Through Human Systems
– Managing performance
– Rewards and recognition
– Employee dismissal
How is the health of your organization?
Read the book. There’s so much more in it!