If you’re like me, when you get overwhelmed, a number of things happen:
1) When we get overwhelmed, we look for shortcuts. We look for the easy way to get through things, but this isn’t always the “best” way.
2) When we get overwhelmed, we lose track of our priorities. We forget about the goals and the dreams we had. We often choose the “easiest” thing to get done, not the most important.
3) When we get overwhelmed, we compromise. All of our energy goes towards the thing that is screaming the loudest, and other areas of our life that are often more important get neglected.
Here are 5 things to do when that “panic” begins to set in that comes from being overwhelmed:
1) Take Inventory. Go back to your goals, your priorities and your action plan, and determine how to adjust your schedule without compromising the things that you really want to accomplish. Ask God for wisdom and clarity in the decisions you need to make.
2) Get Some Help. Go to one of your closer friends and ask them to help you through this time. We often overlook this and try to do things on our own!
3) Clear Your Head. Stop, take a deep breath, and then move. We often react to things without having a clear course of action or a clear plan.
4) Make Some Changes. It’s OK to make changes. You don’t have to live your life in a constant state of pressure. If you need to make some changes, do it. Just put some thought into the things that you can change and the things that can’t be adjusted.
5) Work Your List. Write down the things that need to be done, and get to work. Take the “baby steps” needed. It will be overwhelming for a while. You may need to work some extra hours, but you’ll get through it. Don’t run from it. Don’t avoid it. Work it.