These questions can help you think of areas in your life that need some focus. Be honest! Don’t try to answer them all at one time, but use them as an ongoing evaluation tool.
Your Goals and Values
- What aspects of your high school years did you enjoy the most?
- If you could live this period over again, would you do anything differently?
- What values are most important to you?
- What do you care most about?
- What concerns occupy most of your energy, effort, and thoughts?
- How do you define success?
- Are you satisfied with your accomplishments to date?
- What do you want to accomplish in the years ahead?
- What kind of person would you like to become?
- Of your unique gifts and strengths, which would you most like to develop?
- What would you most like to change about yourself?
- Is there anything you have ever secretly wanted to do or be?
- If you had a year to go anywhere and do whatever you wanted, how would you spend that year?
- What events or experiences have shaped your growth and way of thinking?
- What are your academic interests?
- What do you choose to learn when you can learn on your own?
- How do you learn best?
- What methods of teaching and style of teaching engage your interest and effort he most?
- What has been your most stimulating intellectual experience?
- In what areas of skill or knowledge do you feel most confident?
- If you could study anything, what would it be?
Your Activities and Interests
- What activities do you most enjoy outside the daily routine of your normal responsibilities?
- Looking back, would you have made different choices?
- Do your activities show any pattern of commitment, competence, or contribution?
- How would others describe your role in your community?
- After a long, hard day, what do you most enjoy doing?
- What do you do for fun or relaxation?
- What are your hobbies?
The World Around You
- How has your environment influenced your way of thinking?
- What does your family, friends, community expect of you?
- What pressures have you felt to conform?
- Have you ever encountered people who thought and acted differently than you did?
- What viewpoints have challenged you the most?
- What distresses you most about the world around you?
- Do you have any current heroes/heroines or historical heroes?
- What books have you read that have changed your way of thinking?
- What “breaks your heart” in the world?
Your Personality and Relationships With Others
- How would someone who knows you well describe you?
- What are your best qualities?
- What are your most conspicuous shortcomings?
- How have you grown or changed over the years?
- Which relationships are most important to you and why?
- How would you describe the people you consider your best friends?
- How would you describe your best critics?
- What kind of people do you associate with and admire?
- How are you influenced by others who are important to you?\
- How important to you are approval, rewards, and recognition?
- How do you respond to pressure, competition, or challenge?
- How do you feel about choices and making decisions for yourself?
- How much do you rely on direction, advice, or guidance from others?
Your Personal Leadership
- Given a choice, would you lead or follow?
- How do you handle responsibility?
- What motivates you to keep working?
- How do you respond to criticism from your teammates?
- Do you prefer working in a team or by yourself?
- How are you at setting and achieving goals?
- Do you like to create things or follow instructions?
- Do you like to look at big picture things or daily, practical issues?
- What’s the hardest part of your day?
- What do you look forward to at work each day?
Your Spiritual Life
- Are you taking time with God every day?
- Do you take time to listen to God? Does He speak?
- Does reading the Bible inspire you or discourage you?
- How do you measure spiritual growth in your life?
- Do you have people around you who help you grow spiritually?
- Are you involved in your local church?
- What “feeds” you spiritually?
- What’s the hardest thing about maintaining a healthy spiritual life?
- Are there people you look up to spiritually?
- How do you serve God?
- Do others see Christ in your life?
- As a Christian, how are you different than others?