It would really help if everyone in ministry would wear a hard hat…one of those colorful hard hats that they make you wear on a construction site. It would help remind all of us that we are builders, building His Church.
Jesus said, “I will build my church”, and then He left it in our hands. I wonder if what we are building looks anything like what He had in mind?
Ministry is construction in its purest form, and as with any building project, the authorized blueprints—His word—must be followed at all points. On this earth, our great God has assembled the one true structure that will stand the test of time—His church. It’s His building, it’s the body of Christ, and, He is the Architect, Builder, Owner and Lord. This building in which we labor has no equal.
Whatever we are doing has to look like Jesus, and, we need to remember…
1. His character never changes…He is the same yesterday, today and forever.
2. His strength never grows weak…The gates of hell cannot prevail against us..
3. His love never stops…the greatest of these is love.
4. His promises never fail…I am with you always.
We also need to look like Jesus, personally, in everything we do. As leaders, we have a personal responsibility to model Christ.
He knew, as we do, that God’s character never changes, His strength never diminishes, His word never fails. His love is unlimited and His promises immutable. He always accomplishes what He sets out to do. He never varies. He is “the same yesterday, today and forever.” He’s safe for all who run to Him, and unbending to all who try to change Him.
Is it well thought out? “He is the head of the body, the church.”
- Does it have a sure foundation? “Jesus Christ Himself is the chief cornerstone.”
- Is it bold and strong? “The gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”
- Does it have a place in today’s world? “The church of the living God is the pillar and support of the truth.”
Now don’t get me wrong; this one-of-a-kind building is a work in progress. Under Construction signs could be hung over every pew … and pulpit!